The potholders I’ve been using for years were made for me by my granddaughter on a weaving loom; the same thing I used to make potholders when I was a kid.
Unfortunately the potholders she gave me were well used, and by that I mean permanently stained. They had reached the end of their life expectancy. And it was time to replace them.
I looked around online and found a great pattern and was anxious to make some. This pattern has been around for some time and is definitely tried and true. The potholders are very thick. I’ve used them numerous times and haven’t even come close to burning my fingers. The way they are constructed almost makes them double thick.
The pattern includes a very nice picture tutorial and even a video. The first two rows are a little fiddly but not difficult. After that the pattern virtually works itself.
And what a great way it has been to use up more of those cotton scraps! It has been very satisfying to see useful potholders and dishcloths emerge from a bag of leftover bits and bobs of cotton yarn.
As with the dishcloths I made using leftover scraps of yarn I just added colors with no rhyme nor reason. Some of the scraps were solid colors while some were variegated. It didn’t matter. The whole point was to use up the scraps and end up with something useful.
The pattern directions include a hanging loop but since I store mine in a drawer next to the stove I didn’t bother adding it.
If the pattern is followed as written, (hanging loop or not) the potholder will end up around 7 inches square. After making several that size I decided I preferred smaller ones…less chance of the potholder ending up in the food. So instead of initially chaining 25 (after accounting for the hanging loop) as the pattern directed I only chained 21 using a size H (5.0 mm) hook and ended up with a potholder approximately 5.5 inches square. Just the right size.
So if you happen to have a boatload of cotton stash lying around here’s another project for you!